A garden gathering in Goshen’s Historic Southside neighborhood
If you’re interested in exploring other local garden initiatives, check out the following links:
The Unity Gardens
The Unity Gardens is an organization initiated in the South Bend area with a goal of community building through a framework of Gardens. The gardens not only provide healthy food for anyone, but also educate the community on how to grow, and eat healthy food.
Click on the following links if you’d like to learn more or discover other local initiatives for inspiration:
If you’d like to read about schoolyard gardening, here are a few examples:
- Boston Schoolyard Initiative – Transforming schoolyards into dynamic centers for recreation, learning, and community life.
- Space to Grow: Greening Chicago Schoolyards – an innovative program to transform Chicago schoolyards into spaces that provide students, their families and the broader community with opportunities for active play and outdoor learning, space for physical education classes, gardening and environmental literacy, and engagement with art.
- McPherson Neighborhood Community and Family Gardens – McPherson Elementary School gardens include both a community and family garden.
Benefits of greenspaces and outdoors:
- How to Make Cities Happier Places – a new study shows that moving from a less-green urban environment to a more-green one can lead to lasting positive changes in mental well-being.
- The Benefits of Digging in the Dirt – Nature schools are helping make outdoor play a priority for a generation of kids suffering from nature-deficit disorder.